Saturday, November 8, 2014

Complacency--One of Our True Enemies

I am one who has fought all my life. I have had to fight poverty, I have had to fight statistics, I have had to even fight homelessness. Now, I fight for change--each and every day of my life. The older I become, the more I have noticed that I am now more observant of people and what I have noted to be a consistent pattern within the black community is complacency. Complacency is defined by Merriam-Webster dictionary as "self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies". And within our communities, our have been born into complacency that is generational. They are asleep and some refuse to be awakened and become irritated when confronted with the truth and severity of our condition. We, the descendants of stolen people , who were deprived our basic human rights, and continue to be oppressed by the machinations of a nation built upon the backs of our ancestors. The Willie Lynch syndrome, a psychological warfare, continues to be waged and large numbers of our people, are willing participants. They purchase millions of dollars in retail and services with companies that were financed with slave money and who continue to mistreat our people (i.e. Wal-Mart).
Then, there is the subset of people who talk a good game but take absolutely no action. With the growing popularity of the internet and social media, we have individuals that boast to be revolutionaries, always talking about what our community needs, but they never are present. They live on 1000 Facebook Avenue and never venture beyond the virtual corridors and neighborhoods and step off the porch. They remind me of a dog owned by one of grandmother's friend. To hear his bark, you would think he had heart and that he had to be tied but, truth be told he was a sissy and was not even tied down  (his bark was always bigger than his bite)! I have absolute no patience for that type of inactivity. It is my hope that for us that are awake that we continue to come forth and make a difference. Let's leave this place in a better condition than it was when we were brought into it. 

Peace & Blessings,
Andre'a "The Lioness"

No comments:

Post a Comment